Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Life

My family recently lost a very dear friend of the family. My "aunt", who was my grandmother's best friend, and a very important part of my family, passed away just a few days before Keira's birthday. She lived such a full, long life, and has beautiful children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. I believe they all reflect what a stunning and giving woman she was, as the matriarch of her family. Her joy and love lives on through them now.
I can only hope I get the great opportunity to see my family grow and flourish like this. What an awesome thing it must be to see your family grow in that way. I tell my children now I will be "stealing" my grandchildren every chance they let me.
Celebrating a life well lived is a magical thing. There is sadness, yes, but there is legacy. There are thousands of memories, moments to be celebrated. There were graduations, and ceremonies, weddings and births. There were school plays, sporting events, summer bbqs and holidays. There were quiet talks, phone calls, and heart to hearts. There was laughter, and sometimes tears. There was illness, and there was a mountain of hugs.
My aunt lived her life with every bit of her being. She soaked up her opportunities in life and never for one second did she think twice taking part in every member of her large family's life. She knew the value of these moments in time. She was present for her life, which is something to be modeled.
This week her family suffered a great tragedy, and lost my aunt's great grandson, who was just two years old, to an accidental drowning. my heart aches for the loss of a life so young. I think of all my aunt accomplished, and feel saddened for what that little boy didn't. Having a son who is two, it touches my heart all the more. I can not imagine the loss of a child and how I could ever move on from that. I hugged my children a little more today, and told them I loved them a few more times. Life is such a fragile thing, and no one plans for these life changing events. Yet these events happen to families every day, and all you can do is thank God that today it wasn't your family, it wasn't your child.
I know my aunt greeted her great grandson with her open arms and infectious laughter. I know she will watch over him and love him and I can only imagine she can somehow pass on the life he never had to him.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com