Friday, June 11, 2010

Sweep The Leg!

How smart of Brody to know that one of my favorite all time movies is The Karate Kid. And what a way to pay homage to that movie, and celebrate the opening of the new Karate Kid remake today, then by channeling his inner Johnny Lawrence. Not to go completely off subject here, but have you ever noticed that the bleach blond haired kid is always the bad one in the kids movies? The Karate Kid, Johnny Lawrence. Harry Potter, Drako Malfoy. Rocky IV, Ivan Drago. I'm sure I could think of more, but those are the ones popping in my head right now.
Okay, back on point, so in all seriousness, poor Brody boy took an awkward spill and landed against a screw. No we do not have random screws sticking out of walls, we removed our gate at the bottom of the stairs to repair it, and there is a screw that is not quite flush with the wall, well Brody managed to fall right back onto it, and it went in his head. Because it was a rainy day, and I decided to fill it with chores, I was smack in the middle of folding clothes, and was treating myself to a facial mask while doing so when I heard Nate and Ty scream Brody's bleeding, and then heard the cries of poor Brodster. Brody's crying of course got Keira crying, and one glance I knew we were hospital bound, so I got a face cloth, cleaned up his head so I could get a better look, told the kids to get ready, and brought the wet face cloth with me to wipe down my face as we went (because no one would have wanted to see my face white with a cleansing mask at the hospital.) I have a super power ability of remaining completely, unnaturally calm in these situations. I never knew I had this ability until these things happened, but I am grateful I do, because being a hot mess would definitely not make the kids feel calm and like everything would be okay when say, their head is gushing blood, or their arm is stuck in an old sewing machine (a story for another time), or when they just swallowed a cup of coins (again, another time.) Brody had stopped crying by the time we got to the car, and although he was still bleeding, really was acting fine. I called Nathan and he met me and picked up Nate. I had no idea how long I'd be, so I kept Ty with me to help with Keira (who was clinging to me because even though every one else was okay, she was freaked out by everything.) We got to the hospital, and they put a gauze pad with stuff to numb up his head, and almost two hours later, we finally saw a doctor, who said two staples should just about do it. I bribed Brody by telling him if he laid down on his belly so they could fix his boo boo, Daddy would get him cookies and he could watch Diego when we got home. So Ty held one of his hands, I held the other, while holding Keira, and somehow managed to crouch to look him in the eye (because actually seeing staples going in my son's head is something that I would definitely not be able to handle. My superpowers don't reach that far. A quick snap snap, and we were done. No more tears, only where's my cookie? Brody got bandaged up and off we went. Just another Thursday evening. And our little Karate Master is one heck of a trooper!
Oh, I didn't explain. Nathan and I think Brody resembles Johnny Lawrence, the bad kid from the original Karate Kid movie. We have taught Brody to do great karate chop moves and we say "Sweep the leg!" to him about every half hour, which he thinks is hilarious. The poor boy will not remember his first bad injury, just that he became a karate kid for a random week.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com