Sunday, January 4, 2009

Things That Make Me Smile

It is easy to take for granted the little things on a day to day basis. I think it is important to stop every now and then and let your heart melt by those actions that can be so easily taken advantage of. The boys got lots of games for Christmas, and I love that Ty and Nate are old enough to play games with us... and not necessarily just "kid" games, but that we can have a family Uno night, or Monopoly or Operation (yes I know THAT one is a kid game, but still one of our favorites... same goes for Guess Who.) The routine has become, I put Brody to bed, and Nathan and the boys play games until I get down, and then we usually all play together. My favorite part though? When I come downstairs and peek in on their games. I love seeing Nathan have these special moments with the boys. He is so patient and I think he is genuinely having as much fun as the boys are. On the same note, Ty and Nate have begun to put down the video games (phew!) and have been having hour long (or longer) memory and go-fish matches. They are so good at playing together, and seeing them NOT arguing over something, and thinking, and just generally playing so quietly and well together, well needless to say it is not only fun to watch, but a RELIEF to have a break from all the noise.
Brody, my always willing helper, likes to find the dog's toys. It may be Liberty's rope, or her bone, or little stuffed animal (that she stole from Brody), but he finds them, and brings them to her, and is so gentle. He also likes to sit with her and he sort of does his version of cuddling with her.
Nate has really taken to me being pregnant this time around, and I think is getting very excited, now that he knows what to expect. He has informed me that he is going to gently brush "his baby's" hair and put pretend make-up on her. He also is making sure to let us know he will be calling her girly-girl.
Ty is reading chapter books now, and although he can read them on his own, I like to have one book going that we are reading together. Right now it is The Tale of Despereaux. Now, this started out as a book I was reading to all of them, but it is long, and Nate lost interest somewhere along the line, although he still plays quietly in the room when we are reading. I love seeing how excited Ty gets about this book (and I feel the same way) and hearing all of his insight and questions. I still have vivid memories of my mom reading Charlotte's Web to me, among other books, and I only hope he is going to be able to look back on the stories we read together with such great memories.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com