Tuesday, August 4, 2009

And So It Begins

Football season has begun. It was oddly familiar and comforting this year. I knew where his team met, I knew many people. It was fun to see how so many of the boys have grown in the past year. It was sad to not be on the same "team" as some of our favorite players and parents, but we can look forward to rejoining them next year. Everyone was excited to meet Keira, who we found out about last year during football season. It made me realize just how fast time goes by. It was interesting to see all the "new player" or "first year" parents and players. Their nervousness was palpable, and one woman who stood next to me as the boys were starting some drills, laughed nervously and kept saying she was worried her son wasn't cut out for this (he had a VERY difficult time catching the ball.) I wanted to give her a hug and tell her I understood where she was coming from. I wanted to tell her that my eyes teared when Ty played his first scrimmage because the boy across from him looked like he could eat him, or how I was in physical pain when I saw Ty get hit at not only games, but practices too. I was afraid she may think I was crazy though, so instead I settled for reassuring words about how fantastic our coaches are and how much they will learn in the next two weeks alone.
Ty, as a second year player will get even more playing time than last year (yes politics are big in football) and found out last night that they have decided to keep the second year players on the same "teams" as last year, which means we will be with all of the same players and parents that we bonded with last season who have not moved on. Ty will remain on the E Red Team, or E1. He had been told last season that he would be the main running back for this year, but when he had his quarterback and center drills last night, he impressed the coach, and now is up for that spot. Needless to say he is thrilled beyond belief, and I am now more nervous because he would be the prime target of some very heavy hitting.
We will see though. They are very quick to divide up positions on the teams so the kids can start running plays. We will be happy no matter what, and just hope for a healthy, injury free season.
On the plus side, they have changed practices to 530-8 (shaving off a half hour) throughout August, and only TWO nights a week once school starts. Amazing!!! Weigh in (which we have nothing to worry about... weight limit is 90lbs, Ty is barely 63.) is September 12th, and their first game is September 13th. We have 4 home games, 4 away games. We always welcome more cheering company from the stands!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com