Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Hearing Update

I have delayed writing this post to give some time to the issue. I guess I thought maybe I'd be more informed before I wrote about it, but it seems answers are always hard to come by, and more tests are required to even start the answer process, so this post is what it is. Y'all can wonder and wait along with me. How does that sound?
As most of you know we have been dealing with ear issues for a while now (see here or here for a glimpse.) Although we seemed to make headway at his last audiology appointment, in my hear I know the results were not accurate because Brody easily predicted the pattern in which the woman played the sounds (she never switched up the pattern in which she played the sounds, she instead just alternated one ear to the next, and Brody was predicting the pattern rather than hearing the noises.) I was so frustrated with the testing that day, and Brody had simply had enough of it, so I didn't push the matter, and I should have. My fault.
Now here we are, and there has been a new development. Brody can not hear whispers. This realization began when we were working with Jenn, Brody's Early Intervention worker and were addressing his extra loud speaking voice. Brody has two volumes, loud and screaming. We started to question if it was because he could not hear himself. This prompted the "inside voice" talk, and whispering to show him the difference in volumes. Low and behold, the boy couldn't hear a whisper. He just kind of stared and then tried to change the subject and divert our attention because he was uncomfortable. Since that time two weeks ago, I have worked tirelessly, whispering at different volumes, trying to get him to hear me. Every now and then he pick up a word or two, but mostly I got a big fat nothing for a reaction. Jenn spoke with Brody's speech therapist, Carla, and she is in full agreement that he is probably just not hearing and needs to be reevaluated.
To top this off he has recently been complaining about his ears again, so we're sure the negative pressure is building yet again.
My poor Brody boy.
I have put a call in to his pediatrician and am waiting to find out what course we will take next.
I just thought I'd put it all down here so y'all are up to date.
Let summer vacation officially begin!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com