Thursday, September 17, 2009

Math is Fun?!?!

Wednesday night was "Back to School" night at Ty's school, and as I shuffled into the classroom, and wandered around to find Ty's desk (Keira in tow) I was amazed at the difference a year makes. No longer was the classroom more of a fun room, a play space with learning added in, it was now an official classroom, overhead projector included. My son's desk is smack in the middle of a "U" shaped ring of desks, dead center. No room to goof off was my first thought. My second was what an abnormally clean desk he had, but that's a whole other story. Ty's teacher is young, super nice, and genuinely enthusiastic about teaching and inspiring the kids to love learning. I could not ask for more. As she went through the school year curriculum she paused at math for quite a while. This year the kids jump from addition and subtraction into multiplication and division. She warned us that this leap comes on suddenly in the text book program the school follows (EVERYDAY MATHEMATICS) and we should begin to practice at home.
My first thought was to immediately put in a call to my dear friend, and Ty's Godmother, April. April is a math whiz, and has taught the subject in Mexico, a prestigious Jewish private school in NYC, and now is getting her doctorate at Stanford University. Ty will also have to have 20 minutes of math review Monday through Thursday night, but it can be in any form that works. This is where I need April's help. How do you make math fun? April, gave me a great website called carrotsticks. It incorporates addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Kids can choose to go to harder levels, and they can even play against other kids. It is very easy to maneuver through. Ty LOVED it. Thank you April!!! So now I share this wealth. Parents, let your kids use this website! It is fantastic!!! Ty said "I never knew math could be this fun."
Ah, he'd make his Godmother proud!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com