Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mr Roboto

Here is where I am grateful for the chance to record things about my kids that make me smile.
Today I made my kids walk, and walk, and then walk some more.
I have been on a "teach thing to the kids that I want them to soak into their core being to be a wonderful adult" kick (is it bad I am calling this a kick? I mean I guess I do that every day, but I am more aware of these life lessons as of late.) I have been teaching the kids about the importance of walking places, if you can, and why cars contribute to pollution. Suffice to say we have been doing a lot of walking lately (so I don't eat my own words, because you know, kids will be the first to call you out on that stuff.) During our walks we've been having deep conversations.
I have been trying to instill a sense of adventure that they will carry on to adult hood. I tell them that when they grow up, I hope they will always rather go for a walk, or get out of the house and experience life, rather than being one of those guys too wrapped up in a game, or something on t.v. to do anything. I tell them their girlfriends/wives will be grateful for that trait one day.
Today I asked them what they thought their future girlfriends would look like. Ty said he thought she'd have brown or maybe black hair, and then added, he wasn't quite so sure how great black hair would look as she got older though. Nate said she would have yellow hair like him. Ty then added that whoever his future wife was, she would have to be very understanding of his schedule, because he would be traveling a lot for baseball, so she would either have to come with him, or stay at home with the kids, which he knows is hard, (he then added a right mommy?)
Nate said he was going to be an inventor and he was going to build robots for the army to use. He later told me one of his robots would pick up grenades when the bad guys threw them, and the robot would throw it back so it would explode on their side. I told Nate that Boston had one of the best schools in the world for people who want to build robots (MIT) and he better make sure he pays attention and do well in school so he can get into MIT one day. He told me he knew that and he was going to get a scholarship. (Now THAT was music to my mother of four children who all think college is mandatory and not a choice's ears.)
Each day I have been pushing the kids to walk a bit further than the last. I am enjoying this time together, and all of the wonderful conversations and memories that are coming out of it.

I am in the process of planning Nate's 6th birthday party, and want to poll my readers. We have decided on a carnival theme, and are going to set up various booth throughout the yard. Any suggestions for booths?
So far we have come up with:
  • face painting
  • football toss
  • soccer kick
  • hockey-slap shot
  • bean bag toss
  • fishing station

I'd love to hear your great ideas and input here!
Kindergarten is the last family/friends combined party we host for the kids, and we like to go out with a bang! Thanks in advance for all of your help.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com