Monday, September 6, 2010

Hello Autumn

It is early in the morning. I can feel autumn's chilly air whipping through my house, reaching out through my open windows to make herself known. She is telling me to soak up the last moments of summer, because she is bringing with her promises of light sweaters, and falling leaves, and rich colors.
I love the change of season in New England. Each season is so distinct, and although I usually look forward to that change a few weeks before it actually happens, when it is finally here I mourn the chance to do all of the things that have filled up my life from the season ending. I will miss freeze pops that melt so fast that half of it is drinkable, and the sticky rainbow colored faces that follow. I will miss the sweaty hair matted heads, and dirty feet from running around outside barefoot. I will miss impromptu trips to Breakheart to cool off, watching the kids have contests holding their breath under the water, chasing the ducks, their excitement over spotting a fish, and their grand plans to capture one, I will miss gathering there on some days with so many of our friends, and taking over the "small side". I will miss beach days where the children are free and build cities of sand castles, I will miss jumping over the waves, I will miss the healing power of the cold water on scorching hot days, and I will miss sitting, watching the kids have so much fun, and the amazing talks with friends that have come to mean so much to me, with the sun beating down on me.
This summer has been filled to the brim with love, laughs and fun. I am already looking forward to the opportunities next summer will bring, and anticipating all that next summer will contain.

For now though, I am zipping up my hoodie this morning, and considering making some hot tea. I am dreaming of apple picking and leaf pile jumping, pumpkin bread and watching the colors of the many trees around me change into warm reds, burnt orange and golden yellows. I am looking forward to spending Saturdays on the soccer field and Sundays on the football field, watching my boys have fun. I am looking forward to long walks with friends, and playground dates where the kids don't get so hot that we have to leave.

Goodbye Summer of 2010, Hello Autumn.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com