Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 1 and Day 2

I spent Sunday determined to come out triumphant. It was challenging. I know you're thinking, day one and it was tough? Well it was. My heart was aching and filled with emotion for people I love. Also it was Sunday. What's the big deal about Sunday? Well for starters, it means football, and for the past five weeks that has meant a loss for Ty's team, and one upset and moody Ty. It also means it is grocery shopping/meal planning/house cleaning/laundry wrap up day. I can't say I'm a huge fan. With all the running around and chores done, the kids usually end up complaining about everything. Seriously. You'd think I run a sweatshop or something. The most frequent complaints and whines being
"I'm so tired! I can't lift even my pinky!"
"Oh my gosh I have done things all daaaaaaaaay!"
"I haven't even been able to rest!"

Yup. I have no idea where my kids got their dramatic nature. None.

You shut your mouth, or we won't be friends.

So Sunday came, with my warring emotions and yet that will to soak it up propelled me. Instead of just cleaning, I got the kids to get excited (yes you read that correctly) to rearrange their room. I asked for their input, they sat on the floor calling me super woman while I moved bunk beds across the room. It is okay that my back still hurts, because they haven't come out of their room since Sunday. No exaggerating there. Have I told you I don't allow toys in their bedrooms? I tried that, when Ty was little, and Nate was little, and let's just say I've lived and learned. No toys, no t.v., bedrooms are for sleeping in this house. And for their clothes. I have done this for three years and I have not regretted this decision once.
I digress.
That took up a huge chunk of my morning, along with vacuuming, washing walls, doing laundry, and again, with the kids help, planning meals for the week. Oh and the help of some facebook friends. Yes, those that helped out there are owed a big thank you. Not only did you give me ideas, you made me fully aware that I have never made Shepard's Pie (a couple of you suggested it) for my family, and I need to use my crock pot more, because I've only whipped it out once so far this season.
Anyway, so I loaded all four kids, because I had to take them all, not because I do it for the fun of it, and made the most of our trip. I made it a game, having Ty and Nate take turns finding items, letting Brody hold the list, letting Keira hold a box of Dora fruit snacks that she kissed repeatedly. It always makes me laugh to hear just how many people say "God Bless You" to me when I take all the kids with me. Or tell me how brave I am. This day, the kids were hyper. If I had a dollar for every time someone said that, well I would have a lot of money. I'll take the blessings though.
Once the whole routine of getting home, putting stuff away, bat the kids away from all of the snacks in the house was over, it was time for football. Again, I had all the kids with me. I really like to pay attention to Ty's games. Having all the kids just is difficult. But I was determined to make the best of it. Even when we got lost in a particularly interesting part of the city the game was in, and we were running late because we were lost, I found a reason to laugh. Nate, who acquired a compass, was being ever so helpful, directing me where to go. Turns out my directions were wrong, and I went about five miles past the stadium. Once there, Brody and Keira had fallen asleep so Nate and I listened to music in the car. We got out at what we thought was game time, (yes I woke up the babies and took them too) and hiked up to the stands. Turns out the earlier game was late and it was just half time. The kids and I played, I chatted with friends, I made three, yes three, sprints hauling Keira under my arm, my purse, heavy with juice boxes and snacks to bribe the kids with come game time, holding Brody's hand, and begging Nate to wait up ALL the way down the stands, across the stadium and to the bathroom (don't judge me, it was like half a mile away! I know! there was a track!) Because naturally all three of them had to poop. But my silver lining was that I was sweating so much that I know I got in a goof workout. And no one pooped in their pants.
Oh and the best part of my day? Ty's team won!!! Not just won, but dominated with a final score of 28-0. Ty sacked the q.b. and recovered a fumble.
I came home and had the kids help me make calzones for dinner. We snuggled up on the couch after dinner and watched How to Train Your Dragon, which was cute and out of the norm for a Sunday night. It was a good day.
Monday came with getting the older boys to look good for their school picture day. They did. So handsome! I went for a refreshing and much needed run, and Brody and Keira made me smile in their hats and mittens, those silly kittens. (I couldn't stop myself from writing that.)
We came home and made two lasagnas, one for dinner, one to give. Whenever I am that far ahead of the game, making dinner early, I feel accomplished. We stopped by Nathan's work to bring him leftover calzones for lunch, we saw G-Ma for a little while and laughed at Keira's new surprise face, because it is really funny. We had an impromptu dance party at my mom's house, we dropped off the lasagna, we played outside, we did homework. It was a good day.
Right now with all the emotion that is encompassing our world, good days may not be something grand, or spectacular, but we got through the day. I am grateful for what we have, and the love that surrounds us. I am grateful on harder days, that I survive with my sanity somewhat in tact.
And for those that have checked in this weekend, I am really grateful for your support. It means the world.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com