Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 91

Martin Luther King Jr day.

It is easy to pass over this day, think of it as a long weekend, but in my ever expanding effort to soak up this life, I have re-educated myself on MLK today and I have to say the almost thirty year old me appreciates what Mr King did for our world even more than the school girl me.


So today, in honor of MLK I want to share some of the most inspiring words, to me, that he spoke, that he stood by, that he lived.


"Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase." 

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." 


"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." 

"If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward." 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." 

"No one really knows why they are alive until they know what they'd die for." 

"There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must do it because Conscience tells him it is right." 

"It does not matter how long you live, but how well you do it." 


And lastly, in his last speech on the day before his assasination,

"Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com